Try These Mini Sliders That Are Better Than Fast Food!
Having been from the midwest, it seemed that you couldn’t go more than a few blocks without seeing a White Castle location in cities like Detroit or Chicago. Though it wasn’t as frequent as seeing a McDonald’s, it was still a pretty common sight and something that I loved. White Castle was definitely my go-to guilty pleasure, and how could it not be with those delicious mini burgers (which most of us call sliders)?
Then, I moved out to California where there are no White Castle locations. Sure, there are solid fast food burger choices like In-N-Out or Fatburger, but there are days when I miss those tiny sliders late at night. In fact, it’s almost a four hour drive to get from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, where the only White Castle in the west is located, and even that’s in a pretty smoky casino.
So instead of making that long trip through the desert, I decided to find a recipe to make my own fast food worthy sliders right in my own kitchen. These cheesy and beefy sliders came out tremendously, and I ended up making enough for all of my friends at a party.
The best part is that the recipe for these sliders makes enough for 24 of them, meaning that it’s perfect to take to any occasion, and you can show all of your friends that don’t live near a White Castle what they’re missing out on. While I didn’t provide the French fries, it was still a great experience to see everyone trying sliders for the first time.
To make them in your own home, it’s surprisingly easy. The first time I tried the recipe it took me under an hour, and now it only takes about 45 minutes from start to finish. That’s a lot shorter than the four hour drive to White Castle! These sliders are perfect if you’re hungry but not too hungry and have plenty of mouths to feed.
There’s also not a lot of ingredients that you’ll need that you don’t already have in your home. Just some beef, cheese, mayo, rolls and some onion soup mix is really all you’ll need. That’s a short trip to the grocery store if you don’t even have any of the ingredients! With that said, here’s how you can make two dozen sliders in the comfort of your kitchen while getting that authentic fast food taste that many of us crave!
Preparation Time: 45 to 50 Minutes
Serves: 24 People
Nutrition (Per Serving):
Fat: 13 g
Protein: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Sodium: 425 mg
Cholesterol: 35 mg
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Pounds of Ground Beef
- 2 Cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Envelope of Onion Soup Mix (1 ½ Ounces)
- ½ Cup of Mayonnaise
- ½ Cup of Sliced Pickles
- 24 Split Dinner Rolls
- We’ll get the oven started before we continue with the first steps of the process, setting the oven to 350 degrees. While it’s warming up, take out a baking sheet and cover it with aluminum foil, and then adding a coat of cooking spray onto the foil.
- Set your stovetop to medium-high heat, and then take out a large skillet. In this skillet, put in your two pounds of ground beef and an envelope of onion soup mix. Continue to stir the beef until it’s completely browned and is starting to crumble. It should have a nice coat of the onion soup mix, as well.
- Once the beef is done cooking, take the skillet off of the heated stovetop and place it onto a cool one. Add a half cup of mayonnaise and two cups of shredded cheddar cheese into the skillet, mixing it all together evenly.
- Now that the oven is warmed up and you have your baking sheet, place the bottom parts of the dinner rolls onto the baking sheet. On top of these bottom halves, evenly place your beef mixture onto each of them. Put the top halves of the rolls back onto the sliders, placing them in the oven.
- After about 30 minutes of cooking, the cheese should be nice and melty on your sliders, meaning that they’re done. Take them out of the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes, and you can use some slice pickles for a nice topping on your sliders. All in all, there should be 24 mini sliders for your group to enjoy, so there’s plenty for everyone!