One thing that I like about chicken parmesan is that it isn’t relegated to just one region, and can be enjoyed by people on a budget, as well as those that are more well-off. Legend has it that when Italian immigrants came over to the United States in the late 19th century and early 20th century, they would take advantage of how affordable meat was in the United States and added chicken to many of their parmigiana recipes.
This is how it’s believed that chicken parmesan came about, and now you can find it on menus at local restaurants where the average dish is under $10, and some of the fancier restaurants where you need to make a reservation weeks in advance. Everyone loves chicken parmesan, and there are plenty of ways that you can make this dish. I’ve tried seemingly every way to make chicken parmesan, but landed on one recipe that stands out above the rest.
When I’m in a time pinch, this recipe is fantastic because it only takes about an hour from start to finish, and that includes the preparation and cooking! If you’re a big fan of cheese (and who isn’t as long as your not lactose intolerant?) then this is the recipe for you! If you want to learn how to make the best chicken parmesan that you can make at home, get the oven warming up and ready to go, following these easy instructions! There’s enough here to feed a family of four easily, though you can make smaller portions if you need to bring this chicken parmesan to a potluck and really want to show off!
Preparation Time: 55 to 65 Minutes
Serves: Four People
Nutrition (Per Serving):Calories: 365
Fat: 15 g
Protein: 36 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Sodium: 875 mg
Cholesterol: 90 mg
What You’ll Need:
- 4 Boneless and Skinless Chicken Breast Halves
- ½ Cup of Tomato Sauce (Prepared)
- 1 Cup of Panko Bread Crumbs (Minimum)
- ¼ Cup of Mozzarella, Sliced into Small Cubes
- ½ Cup of Grated Provolone Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup of Olive Oil
- Additional 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- ½ Cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Additional ¼ Cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup of Chopped Basil
- Pinches of Salt and Pepper
- Start off with a little prep work by preheating the oven to 450 degrees (230 degrees Celsius).
- While that’s warming up, take your four chicken breast halves and place them in between two sheets of plastic such as heavy duty freezer bags. Pound the chicken with a mallet until the chicken breasts are about half an inch thick. Then, season the chicken with some salt an pepper.
- In a small bowl to the side, beat both of your eggs and keep them saved for later.
- In a separate bowl, mix together a half cup of grated Parmesan cheese and at least one cup of panko bread crumbs. Once those are mixed, we’ll set them aside with our eggs for later.
- Using a sifter, spread two tablespoons of your all purpose flour to the chicken breasts so that both sides are evenly coated. Then, dip these chicken breasts into the bowl with your beaten eggs. After that, press all sides of the chicken breast into the bread crumb mixture and allow the chicken breasts to sit for around 15 minutes.
- Set your stovetop to a medium-high heat and place a large skillet on the stovetop. Add a cup of olive oil to the skillet and allow it to heat up, then place your chicken into the skillet. It should take two minutes on each side of each chicken breast until it turns a golden color.
- Take out a baking dish and place each piece of chicken onto this dish. With each chicken breast, add around ⅓ cup of tomato sauce. On top of the sauce, add mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese and basil, all in equal amounts over all pieces of chicken.
- When you’re finished with that, sprinkle on another tablespoon or two of Parmesan cheese and then add a tablespoon of olive oil over the chicken. Then, we’re ready to use the oven!
- It should take about 15 to 20 minutes in the oven until the cheese begins to turn a browner color and starts bubbling. Check to see if the chicken is 165 degrees before taking it out of the oven. Once it reaches this temperature, you’re ready to take the chicken out of the oven, allowing it to cool for a few minutes before you and your family are set to enjoy!