The Sweetest and Moistest Cornbread You’ll Ever Make!
Cornbread is one of those foods where it seems that people have had some tremendous cornbread, and they’ve also had some terrible cornbread. If you want people to try your cornbread and say that it’s the best that they’ve ever had, we have some good news for you! We have a recipe that will make your cornbread both sweet and moist, and you can take this dish to almost any occasion!
Cornbread itself is a very old recipe that has been passed down for generations here in the United States, with Native Americans making this recipe for thousands of years. Now, it’s easier than ever to make cornbread in your home, and all you’ll need is about one hour from start to finish. It’s that easy!
What’s even better is that making cornbread usually doesn’t require an additional grocery store trip for many people. The standards in each kitchen like eggs, butter, sugar, baking soda, salt and flour are all part of this easy recipe. If you happen to have a bit of cornmeal and buttermilk lying around the kitchen as well, then you have all you need to make the best cornbread that you’ve ever tasted!
Just follow these easy steps, and you’ll have enough cornbread to make up to 10 people very happy. I’ve found that if you’re in a pinch and need to bring a dish to a large gathering but only have about an hour until you have to head out, this recipe is a surefire people pleaser. Enjoy this cornbread recipe and pass it along to friends that want to know what the secret is to making the perfect cornbread!
Preparation Time: 50 to 60 Minutes
Serves: 8 to 10 People
Nutrition (Per Serving):
Fat: 12 g
Protein: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 39 g
Sodium: 320 mg
Cholesterol: 60 mg
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Cup of Butter
- ⅔ Cups of White Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 Cup of Cornmeal
- 1 Cup of Buttermilk
- ½ Teaspoon of Salt
- 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour
- Before we get started with the recipe, we’ll set our oven to 375 degrees to preheat. Then, take out an eight inch square pan and make sure that it’s greased.
- Take out a large skillet and set your stovetop to a medium heat. Add in a half cup of butter to the skillet, allowing it to melt. Once it has, take the skillet off of the stovetop and add in ⅔ cups of white sugar. Stir it into the butter and then add in two eggs.
- Beat the eggs into the mixture until there’s a nice blend. Once you’ve done that, add in a cup of buttermilk and a half teaspoon of baking soda. Stir these ingredients into the mixture until perfectly blended. Then, add in a cup of cornmeal, a half teaspoon of salt and a cup of all purpose flour.
- Continue to stir all of these ingredients until you have very few lumps of flour that are visible. In your eight inch pan, pour in the mixture so that it’s nice and even, smoothing out any remaining lumps on top.
- Place the pan into the oven, and make sure it’s cooking for at least 30 minutes. When the 30 minutes have passed, take a toothpick and place it into the center of the mixture. If it comes out clean, that means that the cornbread is finished! If the toothpick still has some of the mixture on it, it needs a little longer in the oven. In most cases, it won’t take more than 40 minutes total to complete the recipe.
- Once you take the cornbread out of the oven, it will only need a couple of minutes to cool down until it’s ready to eat. Remember that the sooner you eat the cornbread, the better it’s going to be! Eating cornbread right out of the oven will ensure that the inside is moist while the outside maintains a solid texture. If you leave it sitting out for too long, it could start to go stale! Slice it up into the sizes that you want, and most people will have enough for a slice as you can make up to 10 good sized cornbread squares!