Make This Chicken and Tater Tot Casserole in Just Three Easy Steps!
There are those days when I want to make sure that my family is eating a good hearty meal, but I don’t want to take all of the steps necessary to make something extravagant. When that happens, I like to whip together a casserole that only takes a few minutes to prepare, and then the rest of the time is spent cooking. There’s three steps to making this casserole, and only one of those steps requires more than a few seconds of work!
This is one of the easiest recipes that you’ll ever make, and you’ll find that it’s not just easy, but it’s also incredibly filling and tasty! It’s the perfect thing to make if you’re not feeling like doing a lot of work, but also don’t feel like making a trip to eat out. The ingredients are ones that you’ll usually find in the house, requiring just chicken, tater tots, cream of chicken soup, milk, cheese and sour cream. Most of us already have those things on our regular shopping list!
I’ve made this meal more times than I can count over the years, and it never fails to please. It’s also a great casserole for breakfast if you’re feeling a little sluggish in the morning. Just swap out the chicken in favor of sausage and you have a delicious breakfast casserole that doesn’t require extensive work.
If you’re feeling a little more adventurous, I’ve also included a recipe that requires a little more preparation, but is definitely worth it if you have the energy! It’s a chicken, bacon and ranch tater tot casserole, and it’s actually not too hard to make. Overall, the second casserole will still take under an hour and a half combined, while the first casserole is something that you can make from start to finish in less than an hour.
Feel free to mix around the ingredients a little bit if you’re looking for a different taste or want to keep your recipes completely meatless. We’ll start with the easy casserole that only includes baking and a little bit of mixing, followed by the recipe that takes some more time. Whichever one you choose, your family is sure to love it just as much as mine does, and it’s also a great last-minute dish if you find yourself invited to a gathering where you need to bring something along!
Preparation Time: 50-55 Minutes
Serves: Up to Five People
Nutrition (Per Serving):
Fat: 34 g
Protein: 25 g
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Sodium: 1090 mg
Cholesterol: 85 mg
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, Cooked and Cubed
- 16 Ounces of Frozen Tater Tots
- 1 Can (10 Ounces) of Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- ¼ Cup of 2% Low-Fat Milk
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Colby-Monterey Jack Cheese Blend
- 1 Cup Low-Fat Sour Cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (175 celsius), and take out a 9×12 inch glass baking dish.
- In the dish, mix together your chicken, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, tater tots and cheese blend.
- Place the dish into the oven for 45 minutes, and you’ll be ready to go! There should be enough for up to five people! Here’s an alternate recipe if you find that you have a little more time on your hands and want to add more to the casserole:
What You’ll Need:
- 3 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 2 Cups Shredded Colby-Monterey Jack Cheese Blend
- ½ Cup of Chopped Onion
- 1 Can (10.5 Ounces) of Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- ½ Cup of Milk
- 1 Cup of Sour Cream
- 1 Teaspoon of Vegetable Oil
- ¼ Cup of Sliced Green Onions
- ½ Cup of Chopped Tomatoes
- ½ Cup of Chopped Cooked Bacon
- 32 Ounces of Frozen Tater Tots
- ¼ Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 Package (1 Ounce) of Ranch Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- For this version of the casserole, there’s a few more steps because of the added ingredients. First, we’ll set the oven to 350 degrees (175 celsius) and spray a 13×9 inch glass dish with cooking spray.
- Next, set your stovetop to medium heat, placing a skillet on top. Add in your teaspoon of vegetable oil and allow it to heat up. Once it has, add in your ¼ cup of sliced onions and cook them for three to five minutes until they’ve become tender.
- When the onions are done cooking, place them into a mixing bowl. In this bowl, add in your cream of chicken soup, milk, half of your cheese, half of your dressing mix, black pepper and sour cream. Mix them together until they are well blended, then adding in the chicken and continue to stir.
- Take half of your frozen tater tots and make a layer on the bottom of the baking dish that you’ve already sprayed. Then, place the chicken mixture on top of the bottom layer of potatoes, making sure to spread it out evenly. Then, spread over ¼ cup of chopped and cooked bacon on top of the chicken mixture.
- Either in a bowl or a large food-storage bag, mix together the other half of your dressing and seasoning mix with the other half of your tater tots. Once the tater tots are coated, arrange them on top of the chicken and bacon to make a nice top layer.
- The casserole is now ready to bake, place it into the oven for 40 minutes. Once that’s done take the dish out of the oven (but don’t turn off the heat) and spread the other cup of cheese and other ¼ cup of bacon on top of the casserole.
- Place the dish back into the oven for between 10 and 15 minutes. Once the potatoes have started to brown and the cheese is fully melted, then your casserole is ready to take out of the oven once again. Set it on top of your oven to let it cool, adding your green onions and tomatoes on top. After a few minutes, the casserole will be settled and ready to eat!