Every time that a city gets to host the Super Bowl, that city gets to showcase their finest culinary creations. In 2018, Minneapolis, Minnesota became the host of the big game for the first time in more than a quarter century. If you’re familiar with Minneapolis, you know the one thing you have to try when visiting this great city is the Juicy Lucy.
Some prefer to spell it Jucy Lucy, but there’s no wrong way to enjoy this burger. The origin of this delicious invention is a bit hazy, but the two establishments that lay claim to the Juicy Lucy are both located in Minneapolis. These two bars are called The 5-8 Club and Matt’s Bar, who argue that the recipe is anywhere between 60 to 90 years old!
You may have also seen this Juicy Lucy war being waged in the media, as the rivalry was featured in Time magazine in 2008. Not only that, but the popular show “Man v. Food” had the host try to take down burgers in both of the locations.
While it might not seem like a wild idea by today’s standards as we have deep fried Oreos and French fries at Taco Bell, the Juicy Lucy was certainly ahead of its time. The recipe is incredibly easy to follow, and doesn’t even vary far from how you’d make a regular cheeseburger. If you want to pay tribute to the Super Bowl hosts of Minneapolis and eat like the people in the North Star State, you have to try a Juicy Lucy!
Make these in your own home and they’re sure to be a hit! You can even tell unsuspecting guests that you came up with the burger idea on your own…we won’t tell them you didn’t! Here’s how to make a Juicy Lucy following some simple instructions, and the best part is you probably won’t even need a half hour from when you start to when you take that first cheesy and beefy bite!
Preparation Time: 25 to 30 Minutes
Serves: Four People
Nutrition (Per Serving):Calories: 590
Fat: 40 g
Protein: 48 g
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Sodium: 470 mg
Cholesterol: 175 mg
What You’ll Need:
- 1 ½ Pounds of Ground Beef (At Least 80 Percent Fat)
- ¾ Teaspoons of Garlic Salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 4 Slices of American Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 Split Hamburger Buns
- Getting started is easy enough with your Juicy Lucy burgers. First, we’ll take a large mixing bowl where we can combine our ingredients. In the bowl, add in a teaspoon of black pepper, and three quarters of a teaspoon of garlic salt. Pour in the tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and mix them all together vigorously.
- With your one and a half pounds of ground beef, cut eight even patties. It might look like there isn’t enough meat to make up eight patties, but you’re going to want to make them very thin as we’ll combine them later. Overall, the patty size should be just a tiny bit larger than a slice of American cheese.
- Speaking of that American cheese, cut each of your four slices into four smaller squares. After each slice, stack them up into the four squares and place them between two of your beef patties. Pinch the edges of the meat together, making sure it’s sealed tightly (we can’t stress that enough). Repeat this process for all of your cheese and meat.
- Put your stovetop on medium heat and grab a large skillet. Place your burgers on the skillet and allow them to cook for about four minutes, or until they’re browned on the outside. If your burgers look like they’re inflating, turn them over and make a small hole on the top so that any leftover steam can escape. (If you’re using a grill, scroll down to the last step)
- We’ll cook for another four minutes on that side to achieve the same brown color evenly on both sides. When it’s finished, you’ll just need to grab your hamburger buns and you’re ready to eat!
- Alternatively, a lot of people prefer their hamburgers to be grilled instead of cooked on a stovetop. If that’s the case, set your grill to a medium-high heat and cook them until browned on both sides like you would grill a normal hamburger.
- If everything was done correctly, the cheese hasn’t escaped the burger and made a mess of your kitchen. Once you’ve breathed that sigh of relief, you’re set to enjoy Minnesota’s finest creation in the burger world!