If you’re like me, you have a fondness for Italian food, especially when it’s a little zestier than some of your other traditional dishes. Marrying into an Italian family, there are some new dishes that I’ve learned how to make, and one of my favorites is an Italian casserole that you might not have had before. We’ve all had those standard dishes like spaghetti, lasagna and pizza, but this is another dish that will allow you to expand your Italian food arsenal!
I’ve found that this is a great dish to make when you don’t quite have the time or list of ingredients that a lasagna that we’ve looked at before. Making an Italian casserole is much easier, taking only around 45 minutes to make enough delicious food for up to eight people. It’s beefy, cheesy and zesty, which is sure to be a hit with everyone in your house. If you’re bringing in extended family (and since it’s an Italian dish, you just might be), it’s not too hard to double up and make more!
One thing that I’ve found is that people like to come up for seconds with a lot of my recipes, but this is one that always seems to be filling enough for just one serving. Personally, I think a lot of that has to do with the hearty amount of cheese, so this certainly isn’t for those that are lactose intolerant. Unfortunately, it’s pretty difficult to make to this without cheese, but if that’s the case in your family, it’s easy to prepare some spaghetti on the side!
I like to use this zesty Italian casserole on special occasions, but it’s something that you can easily incorporate into a regular meal, especially if you have a large family. The shopping list makes it easy to find all of the ingredients, and ones such as the cheese, sour cream and butter are probably ingredients that you already have in the home. Getting some fresh onions, beef and tomato sauce are likely the only things that you need to grab.
So if you want to get away from the standard pizza when it comes to Italian meals, but still want something that’s easy to throw together. Using this Italian casserole recipe is certainly the way to go! You can even feel free to switch up the recipe a little bit if you prefer Italian sausage instead of ground beef or margarine instead of butter. The sausage will be just as good and give you that authentic Italian taste that we all love! Throw in some more vegetables outside of onions, too, if you want to go for that big varied taste, as well as other meats like pepperoni.
While the casserole is sitting in the oven, everyone in your house is likely to start getting hungry, even if they’ve already eaten! With enough servings for eight people (assuming that everyone only takes just one, as hard as it is), you might even have some leftovers of casserole that you can take for work or eat anywhere for lunch. Even if it’s better when reheated in the oven, you can still use the microwave just as easily.
There are even ways where you can make this into a low carb meal, as I’ve run into times when I’ve discovered I need to cut a few from my diet! If you replace the rolls in the recipe, you can make this casserole into a low-carb salad that only has around 10 grams of carbohydrates per serving. I’ve struggled to find a lot of low-carb foods that are still filling, but making this a casserole salad is the best thing I’ve found so far!
Just follow these instructions, and it won’t even take you an hour to make this amazing Italian casserole. We know that some of these Italian dishes can take multiple hours to go from start to finish, but it’s the 25 minutes of baking in the oven that takes up a bulk of the time with this recipe. So enjoy it to your heart’s content, and your family will also be loving it, even if you don’t follow the recipe exactly 100 percent!
Preparation Time: 45-50 Minutes
Serves: Eight People
Nutrition (Per Serving):Calories: 510
Fat: 32 g
Protein: 28 g
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Sodium: 980 mg
Cholesterol: 85 mg
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 6 Ounces Shredded Mozzarella
- ⅓ Cup Grated Parmesan
- ¼ Cup Chopped Onions
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (Or Margarine)
- 1 Can of Crescent Dinner Rolls
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees (190 Celsius). While it’s warming up, use a large skillet on the stovetop on medium heat to cook both the one pound of ground beef and ¼ cup of chopped onions, stirring frequently for eight to 10 minutes.
- Once the meat is browned, drain the excess fat and add in your cup of tomato pasta sauce, stirring it in and continuing to cook until heated.
- In a separate bowl, combine your mozzarella cheese and sour cream, mixing them together vigorously.
- In a deep dish pan or glass dish, pour in the beef, tomato sauce and onions. Then, use a spoon to spread the cheese and sour cream mixture evenly on the meat mixture.
- Using crescent rolls, place the dough on top of your mixture. In a separate bowl, thoroughly mix together your grated parmesan cheese and butter or margarine. Once mixed, spread this mixture on top of the dough.
- Bake the casserole in your oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it achieves a golden brown color on the dough. Let the casserole cool down for a few minutes, slicing it into eight servings and enjoy this delicious authentic zesty Italian casserole!